- Only people with excellent bodies should do it. I need to lose 10 lbs first. You don’t need to change! Love the you now. Doing a boudoir shoot will allow you to see how beautiful you ALREADY are. You don’t need to lose weight to love yourself. You just need to start now.
- You’ll hide what I don’t like and “photoshop” me to look beautiful. I’ll pose and light you to show you how gorgeous you already are. You don’t need to change what you look like. You just need to see yourself in a flattering pose and with flattering light that isn’t one of those terrible cell phone selfies that your friend took on a ladies’ night out that makes her look good but doesn’t flatter anybody else in the photo. Believe me, with a little professional guidance, you’ll see that you are as gorgeous as any magazine cover.
- It’s just sexy photos. Boudoir is about more than just taking sexy photos. You’ll definitely have those! But those are just the way to remember the experience. Boudoir photography is about teaching you to love yourself and your body. Women can often feel a sense of self-worth from their intelligence, their drive and their achievements, but it’s just as important to love who you are physically. It isn’t the only or most important part about you, but it is an important part. Ignoring or hating what you look like physically can prevent you from fully loving yourself and allowing yourself to live abundantly in joy.
- A boudoir shoot can only be done as a gift for a significant other. While a lot of women do a shoot as a gift for a lover and that’s a super sexy gift to give, it’s important to do it first for yourself. This is a gift for YOU. The gift of confidence, of love, of self-worth.
I first learned about boudoir photography by doing a shoot for myself and it was the best gift I’ve ever given or received. It boosted my confidence and reminded me that my body was beautiful just how it was even at a time when I wasn’t willing to be kind to it. As women, it can be hard to not pick at all our flaws when we see so many images of how we “should” look. My boudoir shoot showed me that I was beautiful and unique and my flaws were just part of my story. It was truly the greatest and kindest gift I could ever give myself.
- It’s too expensive. Boudoir photography is an investment in rebuilding your self-worth. It’s about the experience of loving yourself enough to allow yourself to be pampered, to have a day celebrating who you are, and having reminders of the joy you found in loving yourself and being able to recreate the experience whenever you need a pick-me-up.
I absolutely adore the Spring in Michigan when flowers finally start to pop out of the ground and bloom into beautiful colors completely erasing any memory of Winter and the snow. I’ve had the makings of this gorgeous flower wall around forever, but recently cabin fever hit me hard during the Michigan Winter and I just had to make something to remind me that Spring is right around the corner.
Measuring a bit larger than 4 ft x 6 ft this flower wall took a LOT of flowers. Each individually hand-placed onto the backing. I did add a few extra rose garlands for interest and depth, but it took a lot of time and the help of my amazing assistant, Maria, to get everything in place. But the end result is well-worth the time and effort it took. I love the soft but bold colors and delicate look of the boudoir photos I’ve taken so far using it as a backdrop.
Some of the cool effects you can see in these photos are from differently shaped prisms I’ve collected over the years. Prisms are a great way to add fun miniature rainbows or even reflections and blurred special effects into your photography.
Want to be photographed on this gorgeous flower wall? Shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or use the form on my Contact page.
Here are my top tips and tricks for an amazing boudoir photo shoot:
Wear loose clothing to your photo shoot.This will prevent any lines from forming on your skin. Drinking plenty of water in the weeks leading up to your shoot will also give your skin that healthy, glowing look.
Bring 3-5 Outfits.Black is always classic but don’t be afraid of beautiful colors that flatter your complexion. Different textures (satin, lace, leather, etc.) and details also add interest. Don’t forget a pair of black and/or nude heels and a nude thong for a white sheets set! I’ve got a whole blog post about what to wear if you want more inspiration: https://michelleburroughs.com/what-to-wear-to-your-boudoir-photo-shoot/
Wax/Shave a few days before.If you don’t usually bother than don’t think you have to for your shoot, but if you do, do it a few days before so you don’t have those little red irritation bumps. The same applies to a spray tan or facial! If you don’t usually do them, then definitely don’t do one before your shoot, but if you do, make sure to get it done a few days ahead.
Bring fun props!While we definitely want the focus to be on you, it can be fun to add a couple of props to your shoot. Your wedding veil, garter, masks, handcuffs, leather jacket, your significant other’s favorite team jersey or button down shirt, etc. If you have a favorite hobby or something that really defines you as a person, definitely bring it!
Fresh polish, please!It seems like a minor detail but in close up photos can really make a difference! No chipped nail polish! Either do without entirely or add a fresh coat before your shoot. Neutral colors work best but if you’re into the colorful look, just make sure they match the colors of your outfits.
Don’t worry about being nervous!Just be confident that you are an amazing creature and you will have a fantastic experience.
If you are looking for a confidence boost, to feel more empowered, and to love who you are on the outside, Michelle is the photographer for you!! My experience with her was amazing!!
I have never felt beautiful. I am a confident woman, who has always succeeded in accomplishing my goals, but never loved who I am on the outside. Michelle brought out that beauty. I can truly see myself in a different way and am now more confident as a presence in any room.
I was nervous when I came in, as I am sure everyone is. I never imagined doing anything like this. Michelle’s “bedside” manner helped rid me of my nerves rather quickly. She has such a calming presence and her humor just brings out the smiles so they do not look fake and posed. I would recommend this experience to any woman I know!! The results were so artistic, feminine, classy, and beautiful!! I felt very empowered to make decisions, ask questions, and give ideas! Thank you, Michelle!!!
Planning your boudoir photo shoot can be a lot of fun and one of the best parts is finding what to wear for lingerie and clothing that reflects you (your personality and your style) and looks amazing.
What to Wear to a Boudoir Photo Shoot
Here are my top 5 suggestions for what to wear:
- Bra and panty set
This one is a classic and yet totally customized to you. Do you love a simple and classic little black set? Or a sporty and fun Calvin Klein version? Maybe a richly colored velvet version with retro high waisted underwear? You can also add a garter belt and/or stockings to add an extra element of sexy. Or wear a kimono robe over it if you’d like to be more covered.
- Bodysuit or teddy
These are a great option and you can choose from solid ones that have more coverage or those with see thru lace and cutouts so you can choose what and how much you want to reveal or to conceal.
- T-shirt or sweater
Gorgeous and simple looks with a t-shirt and sweater (maybe add a pair of cozy and cute knee-high socks?) are a great alternative to classic lingerie. Choose a t-shirt with a graphic or slogan that reflects your likes and beliefs or a comfy sweater that has visible detailing (a large knit fabric, lace accents, ribbon bows or ties, etc.). A leather moto jacket would be an edgier option.
- Something from your significant other
Grab their favorite shirt, team jersey or an item from a hobby that you two do together to really customize your photo shoot and create amazingly authentic photos of you.
- Nude thong
I know that’s weirdly specific, right?? White sheets sets are a gorgeous option for a boudoir photo shoot and I recommend them to pretty much everyone. This set is universally flattering and gives you that effortlessly beautiful “I woke up this way” look.
Where to Get It
So this is all a great start but are you looking for where can you get them?
You can find a lot of these suggestions on Amazon using my affiliate links below:
Or check out local shops in your area. You can also follow these links below to some of my favorite online lingerie shops: